Box Office Predictions: What A Slow Weekend Ahead…
1) The Butler- 16M Weekend, 45M Weekend
City Of Bones is tracking soft, and The Butler was a crowd pleaser last weekend. It is likely that a small drop will keep The Butler in 1st place again this weekend.
2) The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones- 15M weekend, 20M Total
Soft tracking. I think The Butler and Mortal Instruments will be close, but if this was really a big franchise starter like it has been billed, it should be winning by a landslide.
3) You’re Next- 14M Weekend, 14M Total
A well reviewed horror film yes, but a no-name cast. It could break through this weekend, considering how low budget it is.
4) We’re The Millers- 12M Weekend, 88M Total
The Jason Sudekis/Jennifer Aniston comedy is looking to keep steamrolling this weekend as the clear fan favorite.
5) The World’s End- 10M Weekend, 10M Total
Even if it performs well, it has a low screen count. Only 1,400 screens, compared to 2,400 for You’re Next, and 3,046 for City Of Bones. It should have a decent per screen average, but it can’t be a power player this weekend in terms of total gross.
6) Planes- 8M Weekend, 57M Total
Planes dipped only 40% last week, and shouldn’t drop much this week either with no new kids pics entering the marketplace. It will remain the top entry for families.
7) Elysium- 7M Weekend, 67M Total
Elysium will drop a bit this weekend, but with no new entries, people may finally be checking out the Matt Damon film they’ve likely missed.
8) Kick Ass 2- 5M Weekend, 23M Total
Kick Ass 2 had a strong friday, which led into an underwhelming Saturday and Sunday. A #5 debut last week means people aren’t really excited for more Kick Ass. A drop higher than 50% is likely.
9) Blue Jasmine- 5M Weekend, 15M Total
Blue Jasmine goes wide this week into 1,200 screens. It’s been having really solid word of mouth, and great per-screen-averages each week.
10) Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters- 5M Weekend, 46M Total
Percy Jackson only dipped 40% last week as well, and without any new kid pics, I can’t imagine the film dropping 50% this weekend either.