'Scandal' Season 2: 5 Spoilers You Need To Know
September 11th, 2012 2:00pm EDT
ABC's "Scandal" was a surprise mid-season hit last year, centering on professional "fixer" Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) and her ragtag team of lawyers and associates. Season two premieres on Thursday, Sept. 27, and we have some spoilery goodies to hold you over until the series returns in a couple of weeks...
1) After Olivia and her team tried to hide any connection between Quinn Perkins (Katie Lowes) and her dead reporter boyfriend Gideon at the end of the first season, the question of Quinn's identity came up. Viewers will learn the truth about Quinn, including her real name, in the premiere.
"That question spins us into a new, larger scandal that we're following," creator Shonda Rhimes told TV Guide over the summer. "The question becomes: What happened to Quinn Perkins to make her this way and who was responsible?"
Lowes also told TVGuide that the reveal is "like nothing you can imagine."
Washington revealed to TVLine.com, "We find out who she is, but we're still left with why, and how… all of that."
2) President Fitzgerald Grant's wife Mellie and his lover Olivia conspired to protect the President last season. Mellie and Fitz admitted on "20/20" that the leaked sex tape was of them, even though it was really of Grant and Olivia.
So is there any hope for Olivia and Fitz? Or is their relationship completely over?
Tony Goldwyn, who plays Grant, told Entertainment Weekly that his character is "totally heartbroken" because he was willing to give up the presidency to be with Olivia. But there's till hope. "That magnetic pull will certainly bring them together in some way - and I don't know how yet," he explained.
Rimes told TV Guide.com "there's a chance" Fitz & Olivia will be together.
3) Mellie's fake pregnancy is a key issue in season two. "I can tell you that the pregnancy and the impending child is an issue," Goldwyn told EW, not confirming whether there will or will not be a real baby in the making. "I literally can’t say anything, but it’s a factor on the show. It's a point of contention."
4) Others will learn the truth that Cyrus (Jeff Perry) orchestrated Amanda's (Liza Weil) death. Rimes told TV Guide, "Cyrus is a patriot who really loves his country and really believes in the presidency. In a weird way, that's his flaw. His patriotism has taken him to some dark places."
5) Olivia may get a new love interest. Rimes told TV Guide, "There's a prospect of one. I don't know that we're going to get to it early in the second season, but there's definitely a prospect of one."
Washington confirmed to TVLine.com that she's involved in a new relationship in season two: "It's actually somebody that no one is taking about, something that isn't out there yet – and it's a really important new dynamic on the show."
© 2012 Starpulse.com
Photo Credits: American Broadcasting Companies, Inc