Gary Coleman's Funeral Canceled
June 4th, 2010 3:15pm EDT
Gary Coleman's funeral has been canceled as a custody battle over his remains wages on between the late actor's ex-wife and his estranged parents.
The Diff'rent Strokes star was scheduled to be buried on either Friday or Saturday - but now the funeral service is on hold. Coleman's estranged parents have objected to plans by their son's ex-wife, Shannon Price, to bury the star in Sandy, Utah - and they want to take his remains home to Illinois.
Meanwhile, Price has revealed she lacks the funds to pay for a funeral. Price, who was legally authorized to make medical decisions on Coleman's behalf regardless of their marital status, gave doctors permission to turn off the actor's life support system after he suffered a brain hemorrhage and slipped into a coma last week.
Memorial Estates funeral director Blake Yates has confirmed the funeral service has been cancelled. For the time being, Coleman's attorney Randy Kester is unable to predict when the custody battle might end, because the actor left important documentation about his trust unsigned. Kester says, "He had an old trust prepared, by whom I don't know. Every copy I had seen was unsigned. He just simply wouldn't take the time to go and get that done."
Coleman's longtime friend and Diff'rent Strokes co-star Todd Bridges predicted the funeral would not take place.
In a recent TV interview, the actor said, "Gary didn't want a funeral. We have paperwork and we will bring it out soon that will show what his wishes were."
Photo Credits: PR Photos , pacificcoastnews.com