Happy 60th Birthday, Chrissie Hynde!
She has been the "Talk Of The Town" for decades, and now we get to salute the great Pretender herself - Chrissie Hynde turns 60 today.
The Ohio-born rocker was a big part of the burgeoning London punk scene in the mid-to-late 1970s after leaving Akron for the excitement of England and her experiences there gave her the confidence to form her own band, The Pretenders, who have been chart-busting and paving the way for a collection of female-led rock acts - and some male ones too.
With hits like "Back on the Chain Gang," "Don't Get Me Wrong," "Stop Your Sobbing," "Kid and Brass in Pocket," Hynde has written and/or sung many of the hits that make up the soundtrack to the lives of 30-somethings and older.
A fierce animal rights campaigner, Hynde was at the forefront of PETA's celebrity campaigns and she has tirelessly fought injustices against all creatures all over the world.
As she hits her 60s, we thought it apt to search through the WENN archives and find facts to honor our favourite rock chick, who still looks good in denim and leather - and that trademark black eyeliner. Happy birthday, Chrissie Hynde:
- She once worked at music newspaper New Musical Express, now the NME.
- She worked at Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood's clothing store, SEX.
- She has recorded duets with UB40, INXS, Frank Sinatra, Emmylou Harris, Bruce Willis and Ringo Starr.
- Hynde appeared on an episode of "Friends" in 1995.
- She was the voice of a leopard in the "Rugrats: Go Wild" movie.
- She has two daughters, one with ex-husband Jim Kerr, the frontman of Simple Minds, and one from a romance with Ray Davies of the Kinks.
- Hynde briefly dated her J.P., Chrissie & The Fairground Boys bandmate J.P. Jones, who, at 32, was almost half the rocker's age.
- A big animal rights activist and supporter of animal rights organisation PETA, she owns a vegan restaurant in her home town of Akron, Ohio, called The VegiTerranean.
- Hynde ranked seventh on VH1's 100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll poll.
- Her closest celebrity pal is former Eurythmics star Annie Lennox.